Paola Lastick 157sc

Paola Lastick

Paola Lastick's activity stream


  • 2023-01-11 General Meeting Minutes

    01/11/2023 DFW Writer’s Workshop
    General Meeting Minutes
    Officers Present:
    President: John Bartell
    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent
    Vice President of Events and Programs: Sally Hamilton (New)
    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz
    Secretary: Sarah Mensinga (new)
    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowley
    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey
    Infrastructure: Grant Gargagliano
    2023 Conference Chair: Brooke Fossey
    Officers Absent: 0
    Members Attending: 41
    Total Members: 144
    Time Business Meeting Called to Order: 7:04
    Leslie presents Treasurers’ Report:
    Workshop account ending in 32: $94,053.14
    Con account ending in 40: $12,752.17
    CD: $10,457.59
    Total: $117,262.90
    Membership income in December: $1940.12
    Membership income from January 1 – 11: $1176
    January Expenses 1-11:
    Security: $195
    Admin Expenses: $93.94 (bank transaction fees)
    Refunded membership: $100

    Total January expenses through the 11 th : $388.94
    Leslie also notes that at the beginning of the year we tend to have more new members because of New
    Years resolutions.
    Helen gives the Membership Report. Membership is going up. DFWWW currently has 144 members.
    John reminds everyone that Valentine’s Day is approaching. Members can prepare short stories for the
    Valentine’s Day reads.
    John also announces that it is time for the 2023 officer elections.
    Harry Hall explains that we will be voting by acclimation because all candidates are running unopposed.
    He also introduces the new officers: Sarah Mensinga will be the new secretary, Grant Gargagliano will
    serve as VP of Infrastructure, Sally Hamilton will be VP of Events and Programs, John Bartell will remain
    President. Members all say “Aye” all in favor of the new officers.
    All officers introduce themselves and briefly explain their roles.
    John explains that although Brooke was appointed to the advisory board last year, she is stepping down
    so that she can be the conference director. Therefore, Russell Conner will be joining the advisory board
    instead. Members say Aye to accept Russell as an advisory board member, and Russell introduces
    himself.
    Brooke lets everyone know they can pencil DFWCON in for October 7 th & 8 th .
    Business meeting adjourned at 7:15, weekly meeting begins.
    Guests: 1
     Susan Gaffon
    New Members: 2
     Kirk Holdren, writes thrillers, crime.
     DJ
    Book Reviews: 2
     Allen Crowley reviewed Larry’s book on Amazon
     Steve Manning also reviewed Larry’s book.

    Rejections: 1
     John Bartell
    Submissions: 0

    Acceptances: 0
    Announcements:
    Leslie’s book, Fractured Tides has a 99 cent BookBub deal tomorrow. Visit Leslielutz_writes to find a link.
    Melissa Lenhardt is now available as a developmental/editing coach.
    Steve Manning has brought train calendars to share.
    Rosemary is teaching a webinar this Saturday at 2: Five Steps to Take your Book from Meh to Marvelous.
    Register beforehand on RosemaryClement.com, that way you can get the Zoom link. You can also sign
    up for Rosemary’s newletter to learn about the other writing services she offers.
    Leslie shares that International Thriller Writers is championing a school in Nigeria that helps girls who
    have been affected by terrorism. ITW wants to help stock their library. If you have written a book (or
    have a gently used book) that is appropriate for readers ages 14-16, please consider donating it to Leslie.
    She will send them to Nigeria. Leslie plans to send a box in two weeks, but she will send another
    package if more books are donated afterwards.
    Meeting adjourned: 7:26


  • 2023-01-11 Officer's Meeting Minutes

    01/11/2023 DFW Writer’s Workshop
    Officer’s Meeting Minutes
    Officers Present:
    President: John Bartell
    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent
    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz
    Secretary: Sarah Mensinga (new)
    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowley
    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey
    Infrastructure: Grant Gargagliano
    2023 Conference Chair: Brooke Fossey
    2022 Conference Chair: Colin Holmes
    Past Presidents: Rosemary Clement and LeAnn Robinson
    Officers Absent:
    Vice President of Events and Programs: Sally Hamilton (New)
    Meeting Called to Order: 6:04 pm
    John discusses elections and it is decided we will vote by acclimation. He also suggests all officers
    introduce themselves and explain their roles at business meeting later.
    John would like to have an annual meeting with board advisors and officers to assess business. Brooke
    agrees, and thinks the board has an obligation to make sure financials are in order, and that DFWWW
    has a 5 to 10 year plan for the future. John would also like to revisit bylaws about elections in that
    meeting.
    Since Brooke is stepping down from the Board of Advisors to chair the 2023 Conference, Russell Conner
    will take her place.
    There is then discussion about who is the point person on the Board of Advisors (sets meeting agenda,
    etc.) Usually this is the person who has been on the board for five years, but since Brooke is stepping
    down, the Board will have to decide who is now the point person. Everyone agrees it’s okay for the
    board to decide this amongst themselves.

    The Annual Board Meeting (which includes both officers and board members) will be on February 5 th , at
    7:00, location TBD. John will bring a TV & computer so it can be a hybrid meeting because there is a
    concern not all members will be able to attend in person.
    The annual meeting will possibly happen at the Texas Star, but there is concern that the Texas Star has
    bad wifi. Brooke offers to look for a better location.
    6:16 – John hands out an Officers Calendar. He would like the officers to use this as a guide/checklist for
    what their responsibilities are. Leslie would like to add some items to the calendar (such as filing a
    periodic report.)
    Leslie explains that she renewed the insurance for the convention twice last year for various logistical
    reasons.
    6:19 – Allen explains the GoDaddy problem. Multiple DFWWW-esque website urls were previously
    purchased for the group by Steve Manning but transferring ownership has been complicated; there
    already was a GoDaddy DFW Writer’s Workshop.org account that no one knew about or can access.
    GoDaddy transferred the urls to that account, and therefore, they are unreachable (at least for now).
    Allen is working to resolve the issue with GoDaddy.
    Allen wonders if we should migrate our website to GoDaddy because they provide good support. Since
    there are a lot of pages on our site, GoDaddy will review the site and give us a quote for transferring it.
    Brooke wonders if we can migrate Nation Builder info over too. Allen says he is looking into that as well.
    It is generally agreed that we should know how much money the website costs in total, and we should
    review whether there are better/more cost-effective options.
    Allen explains that we can either migrate the WordPress site over, or we can use their content
    management system.
    Brian is concerned that using GoDaddy’s content management system would make it difficult to move
    the website in the future.
    John would like to know who the current webmaster is. Rosemary says website operation should be
    covered by VP of Infrastructure.
    John and Brian both agree that the website should be updated in general (new photos, etc.)
    Rosemary suggests that it may be best to update the website incrementally, rather than overhauling the
    entire site. She thinks it would be best to consider each element of the website as a separate entity.
    6:31 – Leslie gives the Treasurer’s report:
    Treasurer’s Report – January 11, 2023
    Prepared by: Leslie Lutz
    Statement

    Workshop account ending in 32: $94,053.14
    Con account ending in 40: $12,752.17
    CD: $10,457.59
    Total: $117,262.90
    Membership income in December: $1940.12
    Membership income from January 1 – 11: $1176
    January Expenses 1-11:
    Security: $195
    Admin Expenses: $93.94 (bank transaction fees)
    Refunded membership: $100
    Total January expenses through the 11 th : $388.94
    Leslie explains that we are no longer using Paypal, which makes things less complicated.
    Leslie gives a profit/loss sheet to Brooke.
    Leslie would like to do two things. The first is making a policies and procedures guide for the Treasurer.
    She would like everyone to have a copy of this. She also plans to review our transactions with
    Authorize.net (Frost Bank).
    Leslie explains there was profit in December, but not for 2022 as a whole.
    Leslie says rent for the Simmons Center is paid through June.
    There is concern that the Zoom accounts have not been cancelled and maybe should be. John offers to
    review this.
    Leslie would also like the Google Drive to be organized better. Rosemary agrees.
    6:39 – Brooke gives the 2023 Conference Chair Report. The Con will be October 7&8 th . It will remain at
    the same location in Hurst for financial reasons. Because of that, Brooke would like to think of some out-
    of-the-box ideas to make it a fresh experience for returning attendees.
    The con may conflict with the Writers in the Field event again, but Hurst did not give Brooke many other
    choices for weekends, so this is unavoidable. To make sure there are no bad feelings, Brooke would like
    to make it clear that any conflict with Writers in the Field is unintentional.
    There is some discussion about how to smooth things over with WITF, and many people think offering
    the Writers in the Field organizers a table at the con would be a good idea. Grant wonders if we should
    also have a table at Writers in the Field. Most officers think that would not be a good idea based on the
    outdoor nature of Writers in the Field, although a few officers would like to consider that type of
    outreach.

    6:44 – Allen gives the Outreach Report. He would like to invite librarians to our meetings. Everyone likes
    this idea. Brooke also suggests sending a thank you card to the city of Euless. Everyone agrees. John
    suggests the card include the many ways DFWWW members appreciate having our meetings the city of
    Euless (use of local restaurants, etc.)
    Allen suggests we could use a tech committee moving forward.
    Brooke reminds everyone that every officer is permitted to create committees as needed for their
    position.
    Brooke suggests Allen connect with Sally to find locations for future Writer’s Block events. A free venue
    would be best. Officers wonder if this could potentially be a library or local church. Leslie reminds
    everyone that a past event at Interrobang Books after hours was successful.
    Allen would like DFWWW to participate in North Texas Giving Day. Brooke explains that if we register on
    their website as a non-profit, we will be eligible for giving opportunities.
    6:49 – Since Sally is not present, John says he will connect with her about upcoming events, such as the
    Valentine’s Day reads.
    6:50 – Helen gives the Membership Report. Membership is up to 144, with 5 new members this past
    month. John offers to help people who paid by check create accounts. It is agreed that one member in
    good standing who is on a very fixed income will be allowed to pay the old rate so they can remain a
    member.
    Brian gives the Digital Media Report. He says he will continue his Friday Reads posts, and that he is
    happy to promote members’ projects and events, but they need to let him know about them.
    John suggests we give the Amazon links for Friday Reads books a permanent home on the website.
    Others agree that this is a good idea.
    6:54 – Grant gives the Infrastructure Report. He would like to make a Disqus discussion board for
    members. He wonders what a good structure would be – an open chat, or perhaps something more
    organized? Rosemary says she has been thinking about this a lot too, and that she has many ideas. She
    suggests making a Web/Infrastructure Committee to create a proposal that can then be presented to
    the board. Grant agrees.
    John asks me if I have a Secretary’s Report. Since I’m new in the role as secretary, I don’t, but we discuss
    that I’ll need to get all relevant information from the outgoing secretary, Paola. I say I will contact Paola.
    6:56 – John asks Rosemary to present her thoughts. Rosemary suggests we consider Notion as a
    discussion board platform. Since this needs further discussion and the meeting is nearly over, John
    suggests arranging a ½ hour meeting to further discuss Disqus/Notion options.
    Rosemary also discusses a weekly newsletter and says it could also include member news. Rosemary
    says she could easily add this to the newsletter. It could include book announcements, services offered
    by workshop members, and author events—such as signings. It would not include direct sales but could
    link to author’s website if they have a new book. Rosemary thinks twitter-length posts would work best.

    As meeting wraps up, John encourages everyone to look at the Officers Calendar and complete tasks
    listed there.
    Allen suggests having an informal meet-up at a Taco Bueno (or a similar spot) to do a hand-off with
    outgoing/incoming officers. Rosemary says a Zoom meeting also works well because it can be recorded
    by the incoming officer and then used as reference if needed.
    Meeting adjourned at 7:01. Off to the business meeting!

    Meeting adjourned. 7:26


  • published 2023-01-04 Meeting Minutes in Meeting Minutes 2023 2023-01-13 19:42:56 -0600

    2023-01-04 Meeting Minutes

    01/04/2023 DFW Writer’s Workshop
    General Meeting Minutes
    Officers Present:
    President: John Bartell
    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent
    Vice President of Events and Programs: Charlie Hilliard
    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz
    Secretary: Paola Lastick (Sarah Mensinga filling in)
    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowley
    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey
    Infrastructure: Grant Gargagliano
    2023 Conference Chair: Brooke Fossey
    Officers Absent:
    Charlie Hilliard
    Leslie Lutz
    Members Attending: 32
    Total Members:
    Time Meeting Called to Order: 7:03 pm
    Guests: 1 Nick
    New Members: 1 Kristian Caper
    Book Reviews: 0
    Rejections: 1
     Sean Warner received 1 rejection
    Submissions: 2
     Carolyn Rae – Six Days to Live, to Agent Terry Wolf from the conference
     John Bartell – Novel to an agent.
    Acceptances: 0

    Announcements:
    Elections are next week. Officers to be voted on are Sally, Sarah Mensinga, Grant Gargagliano & John
    Bartell
    International Thriller Writers are collecting YA books for all-girls school in Nigeria. Authors of books for
    readers ages 14-16 can donate them on Jan 11 th , Leslie Lutz will pick up.
    Leslie Lutz’s book Fractured Tide available on Bookbub for 99 cents on Jan 12, 2023.
    Rosemary Clement-Moore is hosting a webinar on Jan 14 th at 2:00pm. Check with Rosemary for details.
    Laurie Danhof’s book has new book title “It’s Not a Cult” and a cover. It will be published August 22,
    2023.
    John Bartell tells a buzzard story while we wait for the read list.
    Meeting adjourned.


  • 2022-12-28 General Meeting Minutes

    Members Present: 30
    Officers Present: John Bartell, Brian Tracey, Grant Gargagliano, Helen Dent, Allen Crowley
    1 visitor
    Rejections: Shawn Warner - 2 rejections from agents
    Submissions: Shawn Warner - sent 2nd book in series to 3 agents
    Acceptances: Katie Bernet - signed with a new agent, on submission;
    Dana Swift - signed with a new agent, will go on submission in January; 
    Allen Crowley - accepted by Oracle

  • 2022-12-14 General Meeting Minutes

    12/14/22 General Meeting Minutes
    We had 32 attendees. 
    Officers present: Charlie Hilliard, Allen Crowley, John Bartell, Helen Dent, and Brian Tracey
    2 New Members: Matthew and Sheena
    Rejections: A. Lee Martinez - Gil's All Fright Diner is not going to Roku because of a management change
    Submissions: John Bartell - submitted poems to several journals
    Acceptances: A. Lee Martinez - the Constance Verity movie is still on the table
    Announcements: 
    Charlie Hilliard - next Wednesday, December 21 will be a potluck and end-of-year celebration
    Harry Hall - contact him if interested in any of the positions for the upcoming election in January (secretary, programs, president, and infrastructure)
    Colin Holmes - thank you for all the cards and support during this time
    Rosemary Clement - contact her at [email protected] to be added to her mailing list for free webinars and writing motivation. 
    Rosemary Clement - contact her at [email protected] to be added to a beta reader list (if you are willing to beta read for others and/or if you'd like to have your own manuscript beta-read). 


  • 2022-11-30 General Meeting Minutes

    11/30/22 DFW Writer’s Workshop

    General Meeting Minutes

     

    President: John Bartell

    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent

    Vice President of Events and Programs:  Charlie Hilliard

    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz

    Secretary: Paola Lastick

    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowly

    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey

    Infrastructure:  Grant Gargagliano

    2023 Conference Chair: Brooke Fossey

     

     

    Officer(s) absent: 

    Charlie Hilliard

     

    Members attending: 27

     

    Total Members: 158

     

    Time Meeting called to Order:  7:02 PM

     

    John Bartell opens meeting.

     

    Guests: 0

     

    New Members: 0

     

    Book Reviews: 0

     

    Rejections: 1

    • John Bartell received 1 rejection

     

    Submissions: 2

    • Carolyn Rae
    • John Bartell

     

    Acceptance: 1

    • Brian Tracey is now a represented author.

     

     

    Announcements:

     

    Carolyn Rae announced that the book she worked on with her nephew “Satan’s Glove” is now available.

     

    Allan thanked Leslie Lutz for bringing cheesecake and Rosemary for bringing brownies.

     

    Helen announced name tags are in and asked members to come to the front desk to get theirs.

     

    Harry Hall announced a few officer positions are coming up in January. Please reach out to Harry if interested in running.

     

    John Bartell announced the passing of Colin Holmes’s son and read part of the obituary. In leu of flowers, a donation will be sent on behalf of DFWWW to the hospice.

     

    Meeting adjourned at 7:09 PM


  • 2011-11-23 General Meeting Minutes

    Officer Absent: Paola Lastick, Brian Tracy, Allen Crowley, Leslie Lutz
    Meeting Opening: 7:07pm
    Active Members:
    Attendees: 16
    Visitors: 0
    New Members: 0
    Book Reviews: None
    Rejections: None
    Submission: None
    Acceptances: None
    Announcements: Charlie: Russell C. Connor and Sarah Bale will be doing a panel called “The
    Do’s and Don’ts of Self-Publishing” on January 27 th . More details to come!
    John: Items were left behind last week. Dog books Allen brought and a red notebook.
    Helen: Announced two nametags arrived.
    Time Adjurned: 7:12PM
    Total attendance: 16


  • 2022-11-16 General Meeting Minutes

    11/16/22 DFW Writer’s Workshop

    General Meeting Minutes

     

    President: John Bartell

    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent

    Vice President of Events and Programs:  Charlie Hilliard

    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz

    Secretary: Paola Lastick

    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowly

    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey

    Infrastructure:  Grant Gargagliano

    2023 Conference Chair: Brooke Fossey

     

     

    Officer(s) absent: 

    Charlie Hilliard

     

    Members attending: 30

     

    Total Members: 158

     

    Time Meeting called to Order:  7:04 PM

     

    John Bartell opens meeting.

     

    Guests: 0

     

    New Members: 0

     

    Book Reviews: 0

     

    Rejections: 2

    • Shawn Rogers received 2 rejections
    • John Bartell received 2 rejections

     

    Submissions: 1

    • Grant Gargagliano

     

    Acceptance: 1

    • Grant Gargagliano

     

     

    Announcements:

     

    John makes announcement on behalf of Charlie Hilliard: Next Wednesday (11/23/22) DFWWW will be celebrating Thanksgiving with a potluck for members and guests.

     

    Brooke Fossey announced she will be the 2023 DFW Con chair and passed out surveys for members and gusts to fill out and turn back to her.

     

    Carolyn Rae will be presenting at the Granbury’s Writer’s Group next month. Please reach out to Carolyn if interested.

     

    Sarah announced she has a show in Grapevine the 1st weekend in December. Please reach out for details if interested.

     

    Meeting adjourned at 7:11 PM


  • published 2023 DFWWW Budget Estimate (2) in Meeting Minutes 2022 2022-11-16 09:33:14 -0600

  • published 2023 DFWWW Budget Estimate in Meeting Minutes 2022 2022-11-14 13:16:53 -0600

    2023 DFWWW Budget Estimate

    2023 DFWWW BUDGET ESTIMATE

    Income

    Membership Dues ($100*160) = $16,000

    Expenses

    Facilities = $17,000

    Rent ($100/night) = $5,200

    Security ($195/night – up from $150/night) =$10,335

    Insurance = $1,700

    Operations = $4,000

    Website activities (domain names, wordpress, NationBuilders, Quick books, Tax returns)

    Writer’s Block = $600

    Other expenses = $1,000

    Total expense = $23,000

    Total deficit = -$6,700


  • 2022-11-09 Business Meeting & General Meeting Minutes

    11/09/22 DFW Writer’s Workshop

    Business Meeting Minutes

     

    President: John Bartell

    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent

    Vice President of Events and Programs:  Charlie Hilliard

    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz

    Secretary: Paola Lastick

    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowley

    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey

    Infrastructure:  Grant Gargagliano

    Conference Chair: Collin Holmes

     

     

    Officer(s) absent:  Grant Gargagliano

                                   

    Number of Members: 158

     

    Members attending: 32

     

    Time Meeting called to Order:  7:02 PM

     

    John opens meeting with old business of the bylaws. John states the findings from our lawyer: there are issues with our bylaws. Our lawyer made suggestions. John mentioned another issue we have is that the board of advisors has no oversight. John stated next year the bylaws and oversight issues have to be taken up and resolved. John also gives update on conference and Leslie will go through numbers from the conference during her treasurer’s report.

     

    Treasurer Report - November 9, 2022

     

    Prepared by: Leslie Lutz

     

    Statement

    Workshop account ending in 32: $92,928.41

    Con account ending in 40: $18,261.48

    Paypal account: $1,260.12

    CD: $10,457.59

     

    Total: $122,907.60

     

    Membership income in October (Authorize.net): $1010

    Membership income in October (Paypal): $220

    Total membership in October: $1,230



    Conference:

    *Note: a few small expenses are still coming in, so this report will change. Those expenses are less than $2500

     

    Rollover tickets from 2020 and 2021- gross: $27,746 

    DFWCon tickets purchased in 2022 - gross: $76,066

     

    Total DFWCon22 tickets purchased: $103,812

     

    Vendor tables: $2,147

    Extra pitch sales: $5,456

     

    Gross Total revenue: $111,415




    Refunds, 2022: $14,285

    Refunds, 2020-2021: $2,852

    Total refunds: $17,137

     

    Net Revenue (minus refunds): $94,278

     

    Expenses:

    Sched: $799

    Reimbursement for previous con director (multiple cons): $1335

    Travel, lodging, and speaker expenses: $11,432

    Ad and marketing: $1066

    Meals and entertainment/food and bev (not HCC): $2216

    Supplies from Stickers and Banners): $411

    Merchandise $5134

    Gifts agents/attendees/door prizes: $978

    Supplies: $842

    Venue: $49,072

     

    Total expenses: $73,285

     

    Net profit with rollovers: + $20,993 

    Net profit without rollovers/impact to 2022 cashflow: -$6,753 

     

    John states he is working on the budget and has a draft for 2023 (please see attached in minutes). John states there will have to be an increase in membership dues, which has not happened in over two decades. John presented two options: 1. $125/year or $12.50/month with the probability that another increase will be needed in a year. 2. $150/year or $15/month with no increases in the foreseeable future. 3. No increase. Members will be able to vote in the December business meeting.

     

    VP of Outreach Report – Allen Crowley mentioned North Dallas write-ins are Tuesday nights if anyone wants to join. The write-ins are for NanoWrimo. Allen will also be sponsoring one at a Panera Bread. Please reach out with questions.

     

    VP of Membership – Helen provides membership numbers: 158 current members. John asks anyone that has not received a reminder about their dues coming up please reach out to Helen as there have been issues with Nationsbuilder.

    VP of Education & Programs – Charlie Hilliard announces the Thanksgiving Potluck for the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.

    VP of Social Media – Brian Tracey asks that if anyone has anything they would like for the Workshop to share on social media please reach out to him via the contact us page on the DFWWW website. Brian will share on all platforms: Twitter, Facebook.

     

    John announces to members that Brooke Fossey will be the Conference Director for DFW Con in 2023.

    BJ announces that Carolyn Rae has a presentation on 11/28. Please reach out with questions.

    Meeting adjourned: 7:24 PM.

     

     

    11/09/22 General Meeting

     

     

    Visitors: 0

               

    New Members: 1

    • Beth

     

    Book Reviews: 1

    • Carolyn Rae reviewed 3 books
    • Steve Manning

     

               

    Rejections: 0

     

    Submissions: 3

    • Steve Manning submitted “The Sandwich Maker”
    • John Bartell submitted some poems

     

    Acceptances:

    • Paola Lastick got an acceptance for a short story

     

     

    Announcements:

     

    Charlie Hilliard announced that her book is on sale on Amazon.

     

    Allen reminded members to please take any books they want from the table in the kitchen.

     

    Leslie reminded members that she is trying to get rid of PayPal. If there are any members paying through PayPal please reach out to her.

     

    Harry Hall reminded members that he will be presenting on his book “This Use to be Dallas.” Please reach out with questions.

     

    Time adjourned:  7:31 PM


  • 2022-11-09 Officer's Meeting Mintues

    November 9, 2022, DFWWW OFFICER’S MEETING MINUTES

     

    Date:  11/09/2022

    Time:  6:15 PM

     Attendance:

    John Bartell, President

    Charlie Hilliard, VP of Events and Programs

    Brian Tracey, VP of Social Media

    Leslie Lutz, Treasurer

    Paola Lastick, Secretary

    Colin Holmes, Conference Chair

    Allan, VP of Outreach

    Grant Gargagliano, VP of Infrastructure

    Helen Dent, VP of Membership

    Sally Hamilton

    Alex Martinez

    Dave

    Absent Members:

    Grant Gargagliano, VP of Infrastructure

    General Housekeeping:

    John opens meeting. Looking to discuss membership dues. The books show DFWWW has 160 members. John walked through presentation on expenses and income (please see attached).

    Ideas to increase membership was offered by various members. Ideas pros and cons were debated. Ideas such as offering a student member rate, promoting The Workshop at college writing programs. Ideas on how much membership dues should increase by were also discussed and debated. John will present the two options during the business meeting portion of the meeting and members will be asked to vote on the option they prefer in the December meeting.

    John announced that Brooke Fossey will be the Director of the DFW Conference in 2023.

    Treasurer Report - November 9, 2022

     

    Prepared by: Leslie Lutz

     

    Statement

    Workshop account ending in 32: $92,928.41

    Con account ending in 40: $18,261.48

    Paypal account: $1,260.12

    CD: $10,457.59

     

    Total: $122,907.60

     

    Membership income in October (Authorize.net): $1010

    Membership income in October (Paypal): $220

    Total membership in October: $1,230



    Conference:

    *Note: a few small expenses are still coming in, so this report will change. Those expenses are less than $2500

     

    Rollover tickets from 2020 and 2021- gross: $27,746 

    DFWCon tickets purchased in 2022 - gross: $76,066

     

    Total DFWCon22 tickets purchased: $103,812

     

    Vendor tables: $2,147

    Extra pitch sales: $5,456

     

    Gross Total revenue: $111,415




    Refunds, 2022: $14,285

    Refunds, 2020-2021: $2,852

    Total refunds: $17,137

     

    Net Revenue (minus refunds): $94,278

     

    Expenses:

    Sched: $799

    Reimbursement for previous con director (multiple cons): $1335

    Travel, lodging, and speaker expenses: $11,432

    Ad and marketing: $1066

    Meals and entertainment/food and bev (not HCC): $2216

    Supplies from Stickers and Banners): $411

    Merchandise $5134

    Gifts agents/attendees/door prizes: $978

    Supplies: $842

    Venue: $49,072

     

    Total expenses: $73,285

     

    Net profit with rollovers: + $20,993 

    Net profit without rollovers/impact to 2022 cashflow: -$6,753 

     

     

    VP of Outreach:

    Allan gave findings on the GoDaddy account and stated the two possible options to resolve. He also mentioned Nanowrimo and will present at the business meeting these events.

    VP of Events and Programs Report:

    Charlie discussed doing a Thanksgiving potluck. Charlie will give details to members at business meeting.

    VP of Membership:

    Helen reported 158 current members.

    John closed meeting with a discussion of looking into the VP of Infrastructure role now that meetings have resumed in person.

    Meeting Closed: 6:54 PM


  • 2022-11-02 General Meeting Minutes

    11/02/22 DFW Writer’s Workshop

    General Meeting Minutes

     

    President: John Bartell

    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent

    Vice President of Events and Programs:  Charlie Hilliard

    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz

    Secretary: Paola Lastick

    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowly

    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey

    Infrastructure:  Grant Gargagliano

    Conference Chair: Collin Holmes

     

     

    Officer(s) absent: 

    John Bartell

    Leslie Lutz

    Charlie Hilliard

    Grant Gargagliano

     

    Members attending: 31

     

    Total Members: 161

     

    Time Meeting called to Order:  7:01 PM

     

    Helen Dent opens meeting as stand-in for John Bartell, President. Helen announces the business meeting will be moved to next Wednesday due to John’s absence tonight.

     

    Guests: 1

    • Katie

     

    New Members: 2

    • Chris Rame
    • Mettew Sternon

     

    Book Reviews: 1

    • Lauren Danhof

     

    Rejections: 1

    • Shawn Rogers

     

    Submissions: 3

    • Shawn Rogers
    • Lauren Danhof
    • Helen Dent

     

    Acceptance:

    • Alex Martinez

     

     

    Announcements:

     

    Carolyn Rae announced that Penguin can’t buy Simon Schuster so there are still places for us to submit and the book she wrote with her nephew will be published on 11/14/22.

     

    Sean Warner announced he met a producer at Austin Film Festival is interested in his book which will be published 11/23/22.

     

    Allen Crowly announced that he has brought books for anyone to take if interested.

     

    Meeting adjourned at 7:09 PM


  • 2022-10-05-General Meeting Minutes

    10/05/22 DFW Writer’s Workshop

    General Meeting Minutes

     

    President: John Bartell

    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent

    Vice President of Events and Programs:  Charlie Hilliard

    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz

    Secretary: Paola Lastick

    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowly

    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey

    Infrastructure:  Grant Gargagliano

    Conference Chair: Collin Holmes

     

     

    Officer(s) absent: 26 (Meeting at alternate location due to Simons Center Closure)

     

    Members attending: x

     

    Total Members: 161

     

    Time Meeting called to Order:  7:03 PM

     

    John opens meeting with announcement of incident in school. Simons Center closed. No business meeting due to change in location.

     

    Guests: 1

    • Sarah – writes fantasy/YA

     

    New Members: 0

     

    Book Reviews: 0

     

    Rejections: 1

    • Dana Swift had a few rejections this week.

     

    Submissions: 1

    • Charlie Hilliard

     

    Acceptance:

    • Sarah got 1st book deal.
    • Dana got offer for representation
    • Katy Barnett received a full request
    • Laruen got cover art for book coming out in August 2023

     

     

     

    Announcements:

     

    Charlie Hilliard announced the Halloween spooky reads and asked if anyone interested in decorating to please bring them.

     

    Meeting adjourned at 7:13 PM

     


  • 2022-10-19-General Meeting Minutes

    10/19/22 DFW Writer’s Workshop

    General Meeting Minutes

     

    President: John Bartell

    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent

    Vice President of Events and Programs:  Charlie Hilliard

    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz

    Secretary: Paola Lastick

    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowly

    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey

    Infrastructure:  Grant Gargagliano

    Conference Chair: Collin Holmes

     

     

    Officer(s) absent: Charlie Hilliard, Brian Tracey, Allen Crowly

     

    Members attending: 27

     

    Total Members: 160

     

    Time Meeting called to Order:  7:01 PM

     

    John opens meeting.

     

    Guests: 1

    • Xavier Chapa – membership terminated. Is attending as guest. Will rejoin soon.

     

    New Members: 1

    • Rowan
    • Sean Warner

     

    Book Reviews: 0

     

    Rejections: 0

     

    Submissions: 2

    • Sean Warner
    • John Bartell

     

    Acceptance:

    • Carolyn Rae
    • Alex Martinez
    • Rowan

     

     

    Announcements:

     

    John announces that the Library room smells bad.

     

    Harry Hall announced he was requested to speak as well as be a judge for a dog Halloween costume contest for charity.

     

    Helen Dent made announcement about name badges.

     

    Leslie Lutz announced that attendees to the DFW Con will get a survey. Please look out for it and fill it out in order to have suggestions for improvements.

     

    John said last week talked about Dell passing away. DFWWW donated $100 to charity foundation in obituary. Proposing to change name of Shakespeare room to Dell’s name and took vote. Vote passed unanimously.

     

    Meeting adjourned at 7:17 PM

     

     

     


  • 2022-09-21-General Meeting Minutes

    9/21/22 DFW Writer’s Workshop

    General Meeting Minutes

     

    President: John Bartell

    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent

    Vice President of Events and Programs:  Charlie Hilliard

    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz

    Secretary: Paola Lastick

    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowly

    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey

    Infrastructure:  Grant Gargagliano

    Conference Chair: Collin Holmes

     

     

    Officer(s) absent: Charlie Hilliard

     

    Members attending: 17 in person/23 on Zoom

     

    Total Members: 168

     

    Time Meeting called to Order:  7:02 PM

     

    John opens the meeting with announcement that tonight is the last hybrid meeting. Going forward all meetings will be in person. Thanks those that helped make hybrid possible.

     

    Guests: 0

     

    New Members: 1

    • Mary O’Har

     

    Book Reviews: 0

     

    Rejections: 1

    • Kathy Barnett
    • Dana Swift

     

    Submissions: 2

    • Meredith St John
    • Rachel Harmon

     

    Acceptance:

    • Dana Swift
    • Meredith St John
    • Alex Martinez

     

     

    Announcements:

     

    John asks that if any member feels sick to please stay home.

     

    Katy Barnett is writing a play and will be sending the link to buy tickets if interested. Please reach out to her.

     

    Colin Holmes – 2 weeks until conference. Get your tickets now.

     

    Meeting adjourned at 7:20 PM

     

     

     


  • 2022-10-26 General Meeting Minutes

    10/26/22 DFW Writer’s Workshop

    General Meeting Minutes

     

    President: John Bartell

    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent

    Vice President of Events and Programs:  Charlie Hilliard

    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz

    Secretary: Paola Lastick

    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowly

    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey

    Infrastructure:  Grant Gargagliano

    Conference Chair: Collin Holmes

     

     

    Officer(s) absent: Leslie Lutz

     

    Members attending: 39

     

    Total Members: 169

     

    Time Meeting called to Order:  7:05 PM

     

    John opens meeting.

     

    Visitors: 2

     

    • Milly
    • Matthew

     

    Rejections: 1

     

    • JB Sanders

     

    Submissions: 1

     

    • John Bartell

     

    Acceptances:

     

    Charlie’s poetry book available digitally on December 1, 2022.

     

    Helen Dent made announcement about name badges. Please check the wooden box to see if your name tag is in there. If you do not have a name tag sign up to receive one on the form.

     

    Allan announced NanoWrimo

    Meeting Adjourns at 7:11 PM


  • published Proposals for Zoom options in Meeting Minutes 2022 2022-09-15 14:09:53 -0500

    Proposals for Zoom options

    Zoom Workshop Proposal (Presented by Charlie Hilliard)


    Straight to the Point: Please allow us (the ones willing to put together and host this) 1-3
    months to hold zoom meetings still within the workshop. We hope with this trial period we will be
    able to document what worked and what didn’t as well as adjust and change the zoom option as
    needed.


    The Workshop has been successful for over 40 years as an in-person read and critique, and
    many people love that and don’t want it to change. This proposal is not meant to change
    anything about the in-person Workshop. It’s meant to add to an already successful model. There
    are many reasons (in addition to geography) why a writer would not be able to attend in person,
    or what an in-person read and critique aren’t helpful for them the way it is for so many of us. The
    Workshop’s motto is writers helping writers, and utilizing technology that wasn’t available when
    the Workshop was founded 40 years ago is the next step towards achieving that mission for our
    writing community.


    Workshop Members willing to host and/or people interested in supporting Zoom include:
    1. Desiree Patton
    2. Paola Lastick
    3. Charlie Hilliard
    4. David Morring
    5. Kendall Furlong
    6. Lauren Danhof
    7. Dana Swift
    8. Kelsey Eggebrecht


    Many of the Workshop Members who are interested in helping with an online option, will also
    be attending in person. The goal is for the Membership to be able to utilize whichever option works
    for them that week.


    An online meeting subcommittee would be formed from the interested Members, so it would
    be self-sufficient in terms of organization. Each month a member of the committee would report to
    the officers during the monthly meeting as well as present to the workshop during the business
    meeting.


    Meeting Structure
    1. Just like the workshop, the meeting will meet on Wednesday nights at 7 pm CST. In each
    meeting, we would ask the same questions of those who come.
    a. Is anyone a visitor?
    b. New members?
    c. Has anyone left a book review?
    d. Any rejections?
    e. How about submissions?
    f. Does anyone have any acceptances?
    g. Announcements?
    i. Separately from the workshop, announcements will be a week delayed.


    1. In-person meeting announcements will be announced online a
    week later. Same with zoom-only the announcements will be
    delayed one week.

    Attendance will determine the necessity for how many monitors just like it would in regular
    workshops. Hosts may be the monitor for the zoom, and because of the amount of hosts this
    would essentially be guaranteeing that person is a monitor once every 2-3 months.
    Logistics

    The hosts will alternate weeks that way they can still attend in person when they would like. This
    will also divy the responsibility. Unlike Hybrid, the zoom-only group will be the ones to benefit
    and be responsible for this new zoom-only group.

    The read list will be made the same way the poetry is made where there is a sign-up for zoom
    and a sign-up for in-person. This will create two separate read lists for the different rooms and
    turns a 4-minute process into a 6-minute process.

    1. For the read list, the Infrastructure Vice President will create an event for zoom-only and
    an event for regular in-person.
    2. The VP will download the cvs file of current members.
    3. To make the in-person read list the VP will download the RSVP list cvs for in-person.
    4. Then the VP will make the read list and save the file with a different name.
    5. To make the zoom-only read list the VP will download the RSVP list cvs for zoom-only.
    6. The zoom-only list will be emailed via a shared spreadsheet to all of the hosts so that the
    schedule for hosts will not need to be memorized.
    7. The in-person list will be emailed to the President and officers per usual.

    The zoom email will be:

    Thank you for RSVPing for the DFW Writers' Workshop weekly read and critique meeting,
    starting at 7 pm. This confirmation is for members who sign up for zoom:
    To join us online, log into Zoom, select join and enter the meeting ID: 190974803
    Or click this URL: https://zoom.us/j/190974803
    Please do not join the meeting before 6:45 pm.
    If you haven't already, please sign up for a free Zoom Video Conferencing account using the
    same email address you used to sign up for the DFW Writers' Workshop website. This will help
    facilitate assigning members to the video conference breakout rooms for read and critique.

    If you need to update or cancel your RSVP, use this link:

    https://www.dfwwritersworkshop.org/read_signup_20220810?e=522a692ea53cf27e3f83d0288ef
    d7233

    Benefits of Membership Dues

    1. Online Members would still be Members of the Workshop just like any other Member,
    with all the benefits any Member has. And just as any Member who usually attends in
    person would have the option to attend Online, Online Members can choose to attend in
    person as well.
    2. Even as a zoom-only member, the membership will still have a $100 discount on
    DFWCon.
    3. Include the option of going in person whenever they would like.
    4. Would still have the ability to vote if the above discussion forum is accepted.
    5. Zoom-only members would still have a way to promote themselves in both the
    zoom-only meeting and the delayed announcements in the in-person meetings.
    6. Zoom-only members would still have easy access to information on upcoming writer’s
    blocs as well as events.
    7. Zoom members are also able to be on the website and be listed as published authors
    should they have books.

    Benefits of Zoom-Only in General

    1. Prior members who moved or cannot attend in person for other reasons will have a way
    to return to the Workshop.
    2. DFW boasts of having the most diverse zip code in the United States. It would be
    counter-intuitive to no longer allow such diverse members once they leave the area.
    Allowing zoom would be a benefit that would allow prior members to return, decrease the
    able-ist nature of in-person only, as well as allow our diversity to continue which would
    only increase the benefit of the workshop.
    3. DFWCon has been attended internationally. Having a zoom-only platform would allow
    more individuals to learn of the Conference and join, which will provide more revenue to
    the workshop. Additionally, individuals who travel for the Conference will have a way to
    become members rather than having a one-night-stand with our organization.

    Concerns that should be addressed:

    1. The DFW Writer’s workshop is named after the fact that it is in the DFW area. Would
    having a zoom addition to the workshop detract from the workshop because it would
    service outside of the DFW area?
    a. Our motto is writers helping writers. We’ve never required residency within a
    certain area as long as I’ve been here so unless this does become something we
    start doing, I believe zoom still adheres to the fellowship of writers.
    2. Zoom will create a separate culture that will not be the same as in-person.
    a. Currently, the workshop already has subcultures which I do not believe detracts
    from the experience. An example could be people who attend iHop and people
    who choose not to.

    i. Zoom would be similar. Anyone can go if they want to. There is no
    monetary restraint and this is offered alongside the workshop.

    1. Additionally, zoom will have many members we’ve already
    enjoyed our time with for years. How could the culture be
    considered a ‘versus’ when it’s the workshop? Zoom and
    in-person would be doing the same things while utilizing different
    tools of doing it.

    What does Success Look Like?

    If we follow this proposal it is sufficient to say that there needs to be some measurement of what
    counts as successful. These are my proposed measurements of success:
    Within the three-month time period:

    1. An average of 10 people attend zoom each week (to justify the need for it).
    2. No lapse in hosts or volunteers willing to run and/or assist the meetings.
    3. Membership dues of the number of people attending remotely should exceed any costs
    incurred by the workshop for the Zoom (pro-rated to the 3-month trial period) so that the
    online option is financially self-sufficient.
    a. Self-sufficient, self-funded, self-sustaining

    Personal goals:
    1. To see an increase in membership because of the zoom option.
    2. Create a new way to retain our more experienced members as well as encourage prior
    members to return.
    $319.59 zoom

     

    Kim's Proposal for Zoom Workshop Meeting:

    Outline Proposal for Online Writer's Workshop Cooperative
    Kimberly Moravec

    26 Aug. 2022

    The aim of this proposal is to create a workshop that retains the benefits of Zoom access some members
    of DFWWW enjoyed during the pandemic without placing undue burden on the original DFWWW so
    that the Workshop can continue with the benefits and culture of in-person meetings.
    The proposal is for a sister group Online Writer's Workshop Cooperative (OWWC), separate from

    DFWWW but associated in culture and activities. It would be open to both members of DFWWW and
    the public.

    The meetings would be run like the current Zoom meetings are now, with online sign-up and breakaway
    rooms. The critique would strictly follow DFWWW rules.


    The time of the meetings would not be at the same time as DFWWW so that people could belong to
    both groups, and members in different time zones could participate.


    OWWC would ask for a setup grant from DFWWW to cover the costs of a commercial Zoom account for
    a year (approx. $300?), website and payment platform ($200-$300?), a small marketing budget, and
    possibly events that we might want to hold. An initial ballpark figure might be $500-$1000, although
    this is a really rough estimate, and there may be factors that will drive costs up or down.

    Once member numbers are known after a year, the cooperative members of OWWC would split the
    costs for continued running. For example, with 25 members and $500 budget for continued online
    presence, this would be something reasonably nominal ($20/year).


    An additional option for continued support from DFWWW is a joint DFWWW/OWWC membership, e.g.,
    members of both OWWC and DFWWW could have their annual OWWC dues paid out of their DFWWW
    fees, so that additional membership in OWWC would not lead to additional cost. This would maintain
    the association of the two organizations without the need for there to be additional financial overhead
    (other than one annual payment from DFWWW to OWWC) or any additional legal association.


    Finally, DFWWW can also help out through marketing, online presence, and expertise. The DFWWW
    website has incredible Google search rank results. If the Workshop can help advertise OWWC on the
    home page, this will be and enormous help. In addition, any expertise that members have, if they could
    help with the setup, would be extremely valuable


  • 2022-09-14 General Meeting Minutes

    9/14/22 DFW Writer’s Workshop

    General Meeting Minutes

     

    President: John Bartell

    Vice President of Membership: Helen Dent

    Vice President of Events and Programs:  Charlie Hilliard

    Treasurer: Leslie Lutz

    Secretary: Paola Lastick

    Vice President of Community Outreach: Allen Crowly

    Vice President of Digital Media: Brian Tracey

    Infrastructure:  Grant Gargagliano

    Conference Chair: Collin Holmes

     

     

    Officer(s) absent: Leslie Lutz

     

    Members attending: 32

     

    Total Members: 171

     

    Time Meeting called to Order:  7:02 PM

     

    John opens the meeting. We are still monitoring COVID numbers. If anyone feels sick, even if it’s not COVID, please stay home.

     

    Guests: 0

     

    New Members: 1

    • Graham Powell

     

    Book Reviews:

    • Grant Gargagliano reviewed “Thunder Road”

     

    Rejections: 1

    • Charlie Hilliard

     

    Submissions: 1

    • Charlie Hilliard

     

    Acceptance: 1

    • Grant Gargagliano had a short story accepted in his school’s literary magazine (Script) and was selected as Best of Fiction.

     

    Announcements:

     

    John Bartell said we are still watching COVID numbers to make sure it’s safe to meet in person.

     

    Charlie announced that the online-only workshop is getting set up and she is working with Kim to finalize all the details. There is a signup sheet at the front if anyone wants to put their name down as interested in attending. Charlie also announced that she has a blog she is looking for contributors for. Please reach out to Charlie directly if interested.

     

    Colin Holmes made announcements about the DFWCon and mentioned the Friday night party open to Workshop members and agents only. Please sign up and visit the website often for updated agent/speaker information.

     

    Paola Lastick announced she is the new co-editor of her MFA program’s literary magazine and they are open for submissions. Please reach out to Paola if interested in contributing short stories, essays, poems, etc.

     

    Meeting adjourned at 7:15 PM

     

     

    Meeting adjourned: 7:22 PM

     

     



Join Donate Events

connect