10_4_17

A:

10/04/17 Board Meeting Minutes

 

Officers         

President:                               Brooke Fossey

First Vice President:             John Bartell

Second V.P.:                          Candice Watson

Treasurer:                              Karen Ferrell

Secretary:                               Leslie Lutz

Director of Special Projects:   Stacy Kuhnz

Director of Communications: Katie Bernet

Conference Chair: Steve Manning

 

Absent: 0

Members attending: 8  

 

Time Meeting called to Order:  6:00 pm

 

 

Business:

 

  • Social Media (Katie)
    • Stacey will write an article for the website for October, “How to Make Time for Writing.” Leslie will write “How To Be the Best Possible Beta Reader” for December, and Pam S. will write “How Do You Work up the Courage to Read in Front of Others” in the new year.
    • Katie will be prepping four to five tweets a week using tweet deck.
    • We have close to 4,000 followers and may do some kind of push
    • Membership  (John): currently at 165.
    • Fort Worth Book Festival and Indie Book Fest coming up on October 14. We will have a significant presence at the FW Book Festival. Stacey will wants to clarify where we will put all of our resources, since we thought we’d be more on the critique side of the panels. It looks like some of the topics have been combined into two panels, which may not be ideal. Brooke wants to make a flyer about the times and the topics for both events and about authors. 
    • Nanowrimo: Stacey needs host locations for write-ins for the Four Corners (each point of North Texas).Candice has a few leads on a fifth location. Once we have all the locations, we will make a flyer with all the locations. We discussed Words recent push to advocate Nanowrimo and how they’ve centralized.
    • Lift: Book drives for the organization haven’t been producing books they can use, so they’d like to have a fund drive or perhaps work through an Amazon wishlist. We talked about getting a physical list of books they would like and passing it out to members.
    • 2018 Conference (Steve):
      • The kickoff meeting will be in the next two weeks.
      • The conference committee needs a new treasurer. Steve needs someone to write checks, but the harder part is the financial reporting, finding someone who will create a report every month of what was spent and what was gained. QuickBooks may be a tool that can help us do the reporting. We discussed possible members who could fill that role.
      • We currently have 65 writers enrolled for the 2018 conference.
      • When we have the keynote nailed down, we’ll start to promote the conference. We’re considering marketing the conference in December to encourage people to buy it as a gift for the writers in the family.

 

  • Writers Bloc: October’s event is at the FW Book Festival. Tex is still looking for locations for November and December, but she wants to step back from Writers Bloc. We need to find someone to step into that role in 2018. John will find out how many members we’ve gained who joined solely for Writers Bloc materials online.

 

 

  • Financial Report: Brooke Fossey
    • Our balance is currently $82,855.67. At the same time last year, our balance was $84,584.94.  
    • Our security payment will go up in January by $5 an hour; the total cost of Wednesday night critique security moves up from $105 to $115.

 

  • Author Support (Brooke):
    • We need to have Katie check into the teen workshop email because it’s been inactive.
    • Something we’ve been referring to as “speaker’s bureau” has been dormant for a while, and we talked about the possibility of bringing it back. One option is to organize our authors’ information and proactively email libraries and newspapers. It would also be great to have uniform formatting and content guidelines for their press kits.

 

  • Word: We will probably have Tex talk to the board at the next board meeting.

 

  • Executive Planning Meeting:  at the Las Colinas Country Club. Date TBA.

 

  • October 25 is Halloween reads and potlucks.

 

  • Bylaws: We will officially change the VP titles so that they contain a more detailed job description; this way everything we’ve built will continue once we change officers.

 

 

Meeting adjourned:  7:00 p.m.

 

Dates of next Board meetings:        

November 1, 2017

December 6, 2017

 

10/04/17 GENERAL MEETING MINUTES

 

Officers

President:                               Brooke Fossey

First Vice President:             John Bartell

Second V.P.:                          Candice Watson

Treasurer:                              Karen Ferrell

Secretary:                               Leslie Lutz

Director of Special Projects:   Stacy Kuhnz

Director of Communications: Katie Bernet

Conference Chair: Steve Manning

 

Officer(s) absent:  

 

Meeting open:                       

 

Visitors: 5

New Members: 0

 

Acceptances:  none

 

 

 

Announcements:       

  • Tucker is looking for information about Baltimore.
  • George Goldthwaite said Eric Dixon did a good job on his new website.
  • The Fort Worth Bookfest is coming up on October 14. Rosemary, Alex, Leslie, and Sally will be participating. Writer’s Bloc will be happening this month as well at the TCC Campus during Bookfest.
  • Harry Hall and Russell will be on a panel called “I’m Making It” about making it as an author (October 21st). See the DFWWW website for more information.
  • October 25 will be our Halloween read. Bring a potluck dish.
  • Pamphlets about monitoring and critiquing are by the front door.

 

 

Time adjourned:

Total attendance: 38

 


Join Donate Events